Frequently Asked Questions
- When is Byron Bay’s whale watching season? The Byron Bay whale watching season starts in mid June. The first migrating Humpback Whales can possibly be sighted in May, but we don’t start whale watching until there are enough whales around to ensure that you will have a quality trip. Byron Bay’s whale watching season normally ends in late October.
- How do I book? The easiest way to book your whale watching adventure is to give us a call on 1800858155 or 0488904411 and talk to one of our friendly staff. Please note that we will require a credit card number as security when making a booking, so please have your details ready. Payment can be made on the day of departure. Please note that we require 48 hours notice for any cancellation. You can also send a booking enquiry via our online booking enquiry form or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that bookings are essential for all whale watching trips.
- Are whale sightings guaranteed? At Blue Bay Whale Watching, we are proud of our very experienced skippers and our fantastic whale spotter team who manage to always find the whales for our customers. We are the only operator who uses a professional whale spotter, that means more whales, shorter travel times and more active whales for you. We have a 100% success rate since 2011, but if you should be the first unlucky customer not to see a whale on our tours, we will give you a free trip to come out and try again.
- What if a trip gets cancelled due to bad weather? If we deem sea or bar conditions to be dangerous or extremely unpleasant for our customers, we will cancel the trip and give you a full refund. To avoid inconvenience, we will try to give you as much notice as possible by studying forecasts and observing sea conditions. However, forecasts can be inaccurate and sea conditions can change unexpectedly. If you have any doubt about the conditions or if you are travelling a long distance to get to us, please give us a call on the day before departure. Please note that light rain and overcast skies will not affect your whale watching trip.
- What do I need to bring? The “Bay Warrior” is an very comfortable and stable boat. However, we recommend that you wear warm clothing (fleece jumper, wind jacket), so you can enjoy whale watching inside and outside the cabin. On sunny days, sunblock, a hat and sunnies are recommended. Even though our cat is much more stable than a regular boat, we recommend that you consult your pharmacist about seasickness medication prior to the trip, especially for children.
- Can I bring a camera that is not waterproof? The “Bay Warrior” has a dry cabin where you can store items you want to keep dry for the duration of the trip. For cameras that are not waterproof, we recommend that you take photos from inside the cabin. When taking the camera outside, be aware that spray from the ocean or the movement of the boat (or a breaching whale…) could damage your camera.
- What is your cancellation policy? For individual bookings and groups of up to 4 persons, we will fully refund any booking that is cancelled at least 48 hours before departure of the trip. Cancellations within 48 hours of departure will incur the full cost for the booking. For groups of 5 or more, a 50% deposit is required at the time of booking. This deposit will be fully refunded if a cancellation is made at least 5 days before departure of the boat. Group booking cancellation with less than 5 days notice, but more than 48 hours notice will incur a fee of 50% of the total cost of the booking. Cancellations within 48 hours of departure will incur the full cost for the booking.